Wheel Horse farm tractors
Wheel Horse was a power and agricultural equipment manufacturer based in the United States that was founded in 1946 in a garage in Indiana. However, it operated under the Pond brand at the time, which was later renamed Wheel Horse due to a conflict with another company. The Wheel Horse served its clients' needs and demands for more than four decades before going out of business in the 1980s. It was a subsidiary of The Toro Company that specialized in the manufacture of lawn and garden tractors. The surge in the lawn tractor industry in the 1950s provided a significant uplift to Wheel Horse, and the brand provided a reliable choice for customers with its renowned R-J58 model. A breakthrough for the company came in 1958 when Elmer Pond introduced a three-speed transmission in a 60-day period. This Uni-Drive transmission was critical to the Wheel Horse's overall success. In 1959, demand became so high that it was difficult for the company to fully meet it, with sales totaling more than $4.5 million at the time. Over the years, various tractor models have been offered. The most prominent ones of these include but are not limited to D-160, D180 and D-200.